Peter Macchiarini, Bronze Copper on Wood Base
Price upon request
Peter Macchiarini, Sculptor, Jewelry Maker, 1909-2001
Peter Macchiarini was
an Italian-American California-based American Modernist jeweler and sculptor who
was a pioneer in the field of avant-garde jewelry. He maintained an art studio
and shop on Grant Avenue in San
Francisco, California, for more than 50 years and was instrumental in
organizing the first San Francisco outdoor art festival in 1938. In
1936, following the suggestion of jeweler/ artist Margaret
he started to create art jewelry and began his own jewelry studio. After
studying art at the California School of Fine Art (now known as the San Francisco Art Institute) he went on
to teach metalsmithing and jewelry making at Mills
College during the summer sessions from 1952 to 1955 as well as, in the
same period, in his own studio.
In 1980, he was awarded a gold medal from the Association of the Lucchesi nel
Mondo, which annually recognizes those who, as citizens abroad, bring honor to
the Italian province of Lucca through personal merit. In
2000, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors renamed a portion of Kearny
Street — near Telegraph Hill — "The Peter Macchiarini
Steps" in his honor.
On June 29, 2001 he was declared an official "San Francisco Legend"
for his contributions to the local culture.